Friday, November 30, 2007

#15 - Web 2.0 & Library 2.0

Some people (including me) were hesitant to even find out about the whole Web 2.0 mistery...We were scared, in a way...but after going through with this iHCPL training I've found out that I've been using these tools for a couple of years now. I just didn't know they were labeled as Web 2.o tools....

I searched for Library 2.0 comments and found this statement which opened my eyes towards the advantages of using it in our branches...

"Imagine a student comes to the reference desk and mentions that her class is working on a project and has to look for resources about 'x.' X may not be a good search term, and the catalog certainly won't return any results for that class (pretend it's 'en3610'), but after blogging about it (which should happen with all reference questions), the reference librarian could tag them, including a tag for the course number. Or perhaps the URL could be formatted in such a way that the search hits are tracked. Either way, the record becomes more relevant for a search that is just now important." - ALA Techsource

No comments: